
June 22, 2007
After spending last week at Baylor's pediatric AIDS clinic, I spent all of this one in the pediatric ward of neighboring Kamuzu Central Hospital. KCH is where any of Baylor's 1800+ patients go when they become acutely ill and require inpatient treatment- so at any given time, at least one or two of Baylor's doctors are assigned to work the wards rather than the clinic. This week, I shadowed Anjalee.
The first day in the KCH pediatric wards was pretty shocking. (The picture above is really not representative of the week as a whole, but rather is from of the happiest moments with an almost-recovered patient who wouldn't leave my side.) From the outdoor courtyards in which dozens of mothers were washing clothes and preparing meals, to the three huge rooms of about 40 crying pediatric patients each, the sheer crowdedness of the whole scene overwhelmed me. Add to it all of the various hospital smells that wafted in from room to room, and you'd wonder whether anyone could ever recover from anything there. To the contrary, the end of my first day marked my first direct encounter with a patient's death. We had a 13 year old patient, Calvin, in the "high depenency unit" (HDU) with an acute febrile illness which we were not able to figure out. After assisting with a lumbar puncture on what seemed to be a much more serious patient, I returned to the HDU to find that Calvin had convulsed about 10 minutes earlier and was now dead, probably of a brain bleed- it turned out that he was a known hemophiliac. Now, I understand that throughout my career, I'll need to be prepared to deal with death- but this one really caught me by surprise and hit pretty hard.
In the wards here was the first time that the phrase "resource poor," which is thrown around all the time in public health and development literature, really began to hit home for me. Its not just that they don't have money here (they don't), but some truly necessary medical equipment does not exist in the entire country of Malawi. Case in point: we had another girl in acute renal failure from glomerulonephritis (an attack of the kidney's filtering ability), who hadn't passed urine for days and was thereby retained all of her water, making her one of the puffiest children I'd ever seen. According to the doctors, she probably could have gotten over her acute renal failure with just a few rounds of dialysis, allowing us to treat the cause of her illness. However, unlike in the US where dialysis is readily available in every city and small town, we were not able to put the proper equipment together for her after calling in favors from across the country. We had a hemodialysis machine but lacked a pediatric catheter- necessary for the patients 6 year old arms- and we knew of a peritoneal dialysis machine but had no fluid to use in it. By Thursday things were getting desperate and I contacted my uncle - a South African nephrologist - to see if he might be able to find one or the other and express ship it to Malawi. By the next day, he'd drummed up 24L of PD fluid and we contacted Air Malawi to help with shipping it here. Unfortunately, this effort was futile: right before the fluid was to be shipped, the girl suddenly took a turn for the worse and died. It was in all regards a death that never should have occurred. All in all, this was definitely a tough week for me to take in- but far worse for a few of our patients.
As bad as some of those anecdotes seem, I have to say that among our hospital's limitations, there were some really positive things happening there. For example, Anjalee and one of the other Baylor doctors started a study documenting the progress of a switch to "Plumpynut" calorie-filled peanut butter as a staple food for all children in moderate malnutrition status or worse. By procuring large quantities of this food and allocating it based on medical criteria, they methodologically showed that malnutrition can be combatted in a big way even in as poor a place as Lilongwe. The Nutritional Resource Unit, currently the emptiest ward with less than half of its ~60 beds full at any given time, used to have up to 3 children per bed just about one year ago, with high mortality rates to boot. Though the people here probably haven't gotten that much wealthier in a year's time, science and dedication has made quite an improvement. I am optimistic that there will be more success stories in the coming years as knowledge of and funding for international health picks up.
9 comments:
real human being thanks
Shannon:
As you know, I just left Ghana myself and I understand the frustration when such beautiful people suffer so much and die unnecessarily because of lack of resources. I hope that you will never lose that feeling of despair and helplessness when such tragedy occurs and that you will be continue to be motivated into action by the inequities in our world as opposed to accepting defeat and becoming jaded. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences and to working with you both now and in the future.
Regards,
Desmond A. Brown
Hey Shanon,
I got your Email.
I read your blog entries.
Fascinating to see the place through your eyes. I think your view of medicine will be forever different now.
Maybe we can get you credit for the Blog as "journal entries" for PCM.
I'll check back in a few days.
Signed: Your PCM small group leader.
Shanon-
I think this is great. I am really inspired by the way you are helping and thinking about these patients, and the photo of you with the young one is adorable!
Bree
Shanon,
Burton just forwarded me your blog...it is so interesting and inspirational to hear about your experiences. It sounds like you are contributing and learning so much. I'm just about to start school this week, so it's great hearing your perspective. Looking forward to reading your updates...
Katie
hey desmond-
thanks for your kinds words. i'm glad the ghana trip was such a success... i gotta hand it to you for organizing that opportunity for such a huge group.
lets make this coming year a big one for IHIG. i'm looking forward to collaborating with the Ghana and Ecuador people on a cool presentation for one of the first meetings.
shanon
Dr. B-
thanks for reading- and checking into the possibility of counting some of these entries for PCM! Though i have to say, now that i'm in the habit of writing, I think those entries will come much easier for me next year (hopefully no more December and May scrambles for journal entries, haha). Anyway, I hope you and your family are having a good summer and i'll see you in August.
brizzle!
hope you're having a good summer- thanks for the post. are you gonna still be in NY during late july/ early august? if ekmek and Al are too, perhaps we can get another "park-y" together for all of the late july b-days :)
katie-
i know its probably pretty old news by now, but congratulations on Case! i just heard it from saif... awesome school! i'm glad you're enjoying the blog, i hope to get some more updates up soon so keep checking back.
Post a Comment